Paper 1 Reflection

To approach my Paper 1 practice, I decided to use the big 5 to analyze the two texts and to organize my paper. I felt that this was an effective method to begin with because I was already very familiar with the big 5 from all of the work that we had done with them in class. Even though I had never written a Paper 1 style assessment before, I was able to translate my knowledge regarding how to compare, analyze and respond to different text types into an essay that met many of the goals of the assignment.

I felt that I was able to somewhat effectively demonstrate my understanding and comparison of the texts through my writing. To achieve this, I compared and contrasted each aspect of the big 5, emphasizing that although the themes presented in the two texts were similar, the structure, stylistic devices, audience and tones were different. Although I was able to formulate an argument and back it up with what I observed from the text, I did not include sufficient textual evidence to support what I was claiming. I did, however, include visual evidence from Text 1 regarding the facial expressions and body placement of the characters and how this contributed to the overall messages and themes that the author conveyed. In addition, I included and analyzed one quote from Text 2, but it was not enough to support my entire essay. I did not include any direct quotes from text 1, upsetting the balance of my textual evidence.

In my paper, I was able to demonstrate my understanding of the use and effects of stylistic features that were presented in the two texts. Even though the texts were presented in different ways, I discussed how the use of facial expression and body language in Text 1 and the use of important childhood quotes in Text 2 ultimately contributed to similar conclusions drawn by the authors regarding gender stereotyping in childhood. Although I was bale to recognize and comment on these ideas, I did not include quotes or sufficient evidence to back up my argument. In addition, I did not develop my ideas enough to make and effective claim. i feel that developing my ideas around textual evidence would have been a more effective approach to this criterion.

To organize my paper, I took each aspect of the big 5 and mad it into a paragraph where I compared and contrasted the two texts. I also included introductory and concluding paragraphs to tie my argument together. I felt that this organization helped me to keep my thoughts straight and clear, even under the pressure of writing with a time limit. In the future, I would use this strategy again, as it seemed to work well, both for brainstorming and for structuring my essay.

I felt that the language that I used in my essay was precise, complex, and served to voice my thoughts well. Although the time limit did not allow me to be as eloquent as I would have liked, I felt that I was still bale to write in a formal tone and make good use of vocabulary. In the future, I would like to pay more attention to using terminology that is more specific to the task instead of generalizing everything. For example, i could talk in more technical terms about memoirs or cartoon strips instead of just referring to them as "test 1" and "Text 2".

Overall, I felt that this was a helpful exercise. Having never written a task like this, i was able to figure out things that I liked, such as the way that I structured my writing, and have a better idea of what I can work on improving for future writing tasks like this.

Comments

Popular Posts